Monday, June 21, 2010

Cape Town-Saturday

So most of the Teach With Africa team has now arrived. It is so nice to finally not just be the only person that has arrived. It was very exciting to see members of the team that I had not seen since orientation in San Francisco. After a few minutes of everyone arriving and quickly settling in, we headed to LEAP. LEAP is the school that we will be working at over the next two months.

When we got to the LEAP we were greeted by the LEAPSA's. The LEAPSA's are the alumni association of LEAP as well as alumni who want to become teachers. They were having a meeting and then welcomed us by singing. Once I heard the African singing I knew I was going to feel a flood of emotions. Words cannot describe how I felt listening to them sing. It was such an amazing experience. This is when it definitely hit me that I was in Africa.

We had a quick lunch and a chance to talk to some of the students. Later in the day I had a chance to talk to John Gilmour who is the founder of all the the LEAP schools. What an amazing guy to talk to. I am looking forward to learning so much from him and being at LEAP.

Later that night we headed out to get dinner and have a few drinks. We were able to sit and watch the Cameroon World Cup game. Once I got home I crashed after being completely exhausted. I cannot imagine what this amazing experience has in-store for the next two months.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Josh - If you want to come down to Port Edward in KwaZulu Natal you can come and visit the rural (extremely basic) school where i work for a visit. The children are Xhosa and Zulu speakers and it may be nice for you to compare experiences in another part of the country????? Let me know if you are interested. Best wishes Marian
    gonebananas@telkomsa.net (left you a message on facebook too)

    ReplyDelete