Thursday, May 20, 2010

Teach With Africa Training Weekend



This weekend we had trianing for Teach with Africa in San Francisco. I had quite an adventure getting to San Francisco. I left Philadelphia on a 6:00 PM flight on Friday. However, the plan in front of us stalled out, so we had to go back to the gate while the plane was towed off the runway. Then a huge thunderstorm came out of nowhere and we were delayed. All planes were grounded. About an hour later we were cleared for departure but then it started raining and lightning again. We were about 2 1/2 hours late leaving for Denver. Once we got to Denver, I had obviously missed my connection to San Francisco. Fronteir Airlines said there was nothing that they could do. I was stuck in Denver at midnight and had to find a hotel and the earlies that they could gurantee me a flight was on Sunday at 12:30. Luckily, I was able to find a hotel at around 2:00 AM in Denver, and fyi... It was freezing outside. I totally forgot I was in Denver when I walked outside and was so called. I got about 3 hours of sleep and then went to the airport and did standby, hoping to get to San Francisco as soon as possibly. The 8:00 AM flight was full, so I went back to customer service and a new person was able to book me on the12:30 flight. When I got to San Francisco on Saturday, I was mesmerized. This was my first time on the West Coast. It felt like I was in a whole new world. I arrive to training right at the end of the session, but it was good to meet the other teaching fellows who I would be travelling and working with in South Africa. I left San Francisco on Monday morning so excited and counting down the days until South Africa. Everyone that I am working with this summer has such an amazing story and work experience. I am looking forward to sepending two months working with these amazing teachers and professionals. It was a great weekend that truly put me at ease with some of the anxiety and nervousness that I had been feeling over the last few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment