Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Educator, not a Teacher!


I accept not only the responsibility to instruct my students, but the responsibility to take advantage of the opportunity to stimulate and excite young people educationally.




I accept the responsibility to encourage my students to believe in themselves, and I will do this by helping them to develop specific awareness of the power that each one of them possesses to determine their own destiny.



I will challenge my students to reach just beyond that point where they are comfortable, so they will discover that their own perceptions of their potential are not their true limits.



As I set challenging tasks and goals before my students, I will guide them through the specific steps that will enable each one to reach these goals. This setting of high standards and giving the proper guidance to achievement will enable my students to become aware of their true potential, which is, through step-by-step disciplines and hard work, to go beyond what they ever thought possible.



I will take advantage of the opportunity to guide my students to a concrete understanding of their own abilities:



•to question, rather than to just accept what they are told,

•to seek answers, when there are no simple solutions,

•to seek to understand, when true understanding requires grappling and wrestling with difficult concepts and ideas,

•to reason, using their own minds as sources of original thought,

•and to become contributors to, rather than just partakers of, the well-being of the world in which they live.



My educational goal is the empowerment of my students.

By Barbara H. Wagner

No comments:

Post a Comment